Friday, January 28, 2011

Banana Bread

I was standing in my kitchen and saw some ripe bananas in my fruit basket that I didn't want to go to waste. Since I was heading out to spend some time with family, why not bring along some banana bread for them. So I am looking around my cabinets to see what I can mix into this. Mmm, coconut and almonds sounds good. I made them banana bread before with coconut and walnuts and they loved it but since I have no walnuts on hand, almonds should do. This loaf came out great but if you don't like almonds or coconut, just skip that mix-in. Enjoy!

Banana Bread with Coconut and Slivered Almonds
Recipe by Gold Medal Flour (with slight modifications)
Makes one large loaf

Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup butter or ½ cup margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 ½ cups mashed very ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
½ cup buttermilk (No buttermilk? Use a ½ cup of plain yogurt or sour cream or mix ½ cup of regular milk with ½ tbsp of lemon juice)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup, if desired (I used ½ cup of slivered almonds and ½ shredded coconut plus some extra for the top of loaf)

Ready to go in the oven.
Directions: Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottom and sides of a loaf pan. In large bowl, mix sugar and butter. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla; beat with electric mixer (I used my Kitchen Aid) on medium speed until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and 1 cup nuts and coconut (if using) just until moistened (Careful not to over mix). Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle some coconut and slivered almonds on the top of the batter. Bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf pan; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool about 1 hour before slicing.



No comments:

Post a Comment