Sunday, January 30, 2011

Savory Turkey Sausage Breakfast Rolls

My dream is to own a Bed & Breakfast one day. That would make me so happy to be able to make guests feel welcomed while serving up a delicious gourmet breakfast. I once stayed at a great B&B that did just that – beautiful dining area, wonderful 3 course breakfast and cozy rooms. Ever since then, I have had it in my heart that I want to do that too one day. Of course you would need to pick a location that you would really enjoy opening a B&B and calling home. Needless to say, that is the part I am still working on. However, until then I have been collecting breakfast recipes whenever I see them. How cool would it be for a food magazine to do a special “breakfast issue"? Well, today I decided to try out this recipe by Jimmy Dean. They have the new Turkey Sausage Crumbles which I have seen in the supermarkets but finally bought so that I can make this recipe. These sausage rolls came out really good but you definitely need a little something else to go with it so, I made some scrambled eggs to complete the meal. Enjoy!

Savory Turkey Sausage Breakfast Rolls
Recipe by Jimmy Dean
Makes about 12-16 rolls

Ingredients:
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated French bread dough
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage (I used sage powder since I couldn't find the fresh kind)
¼ teaspoon salt
8 ounces Jimmy Dean reduced-fat turkey crumbles, cooked
¾ cup shredded Gruyère cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
Cooking spray

Directions: Preheat oven to 350°. Find lengthwise seam in dough. Beginning at seam, gently unroll dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 13 x 8 inch rectangle; brush with butter, leaving a ½ inch border. Combine sage, salt, and sausage. Sprinkle sausage mixture evenly over dough, leaving a ½ inch border; top with cheese. Starting with a long side, roll dough up, jelly-roll fashion; press seam to seal (do not seal ends of roll). Cut 1 (½ inch-thick) crosswise slice from each end; discard (I actually took these end pieces and flattened them out and topped with any sausage mixture that escaped the other rolls). Slice roll crosswise into 12 (½ inch-thick) pieces; arrange in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden.

Here is the dough rolled out, buttered, topped with sausage mixture and cheese.

Cut into ½ inch pieces and placed on a sprayed baking pan.

After 26 minutes, they are ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment