Sunday, January 23, 2011

Spinach & Mixed Berry Salads

So I usually make breakfast and lunches for my husband and myself and wanted to make a spinach salad for tomorrow. We went to Costco last weekend and bought huge containers of strawberries and blueberries and I wanted to use them up before they went bad. So what to make but a berry salad! I originally got this idea from a salad I had at Panera Bread this past Summer. It had berries and pineapple chunks in it and was yummy however; it is not available during the winter. So, here is my own version of it which I prepare and package up the night before.

Packaged and ready to go.

Spinach & Mixed Berry Salad
My own recipe which is inspired by Panera Bread
Makes 2 salads

Ingredients:
4 cups of baby spinach
1 cup of strawberries, quartered
1 cup of blueberries
½ cup candied walnuts
2 slices of goat cheese
Balsamic vinaigrette

Directions: In two large Tupperware containers, divide 2 cups of baby spinach in each. Top each salad with half of the strawberries and blueberries. Place one slice of the goat cheese on each salad and then close Tupperware containers and place in refrigerator. I then divide the ½ cup candied walnuts into two plastic baggies and seal. I don't put these on the salad until I am ready to have my lunch since they tend to get a little soggy if I refrigerator them on the salad. I then divide the vinaigrette into little containers so that I don't have to take the whole bottle in my lunch bag. Viola -- lunch is ready!

2 comments:

  1. Actually Aldi had pineapples for only $1.49 I bought two :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good price! I actually like this salad without the pineapple on it but I wanted to make sure to give everyone the full scoop on how the original was made. :)

    ReplyDelete