Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Adobo with Bok Choy

I remember when I got my first slow cooker (AKA crock pot) as a gift from my mom. I was really excited for the gift but also really nervous to use it. I mean, isn't that crazy to leave this little "oven" on all day while you're at work? No way -- I was just too nervous about it. So what I did was test it one Saturday when I was home all day. Ever since that first test, I love this little thing. Nothing beats coming home to a deliciously scented kitchen with a meal just waiting to be served.

Well, this recipe is from my all time favorite celebrity, Martha Stewart. It was featured in the February issue of Real Simple and let me tell you, it really is simple! This was my first time using or eating Bok Choy and it is great. Give it a whirl because this recipe is a "keeper"!

Chicken Adobo with Bok Choy
Recipe by Martha Stewart (with some modifications)
Serves 4. Total cooking time 4-8 hours

Ingredients:
2 medium onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, smashed
cup apple cider vinegar
cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bay leaf
black pepper
8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 ¾ pounds)
2 tablespoons of olive oil (my modification)
Salt and pepper (my modification)
2 teaspoons paprika
1 cup long-grain white rice (I used brown rice)
1 large head bok choy, cut into 1-inch strips
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Directions: In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onions, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, bay leaf, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. In a large pan, heat olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper on each chicken thigh and brown on one side -- do not cook the chicken through. This step will only take 3 minutes and is just to give the chicken a light crust and some color.) Place the chicken on top of the onion mixture in the slow cooker and sprinkle with the paprika. Cook, covered, until the chicken and onions are tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time). Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions. Ten minutes before serving, if the slow cooker is on the low setting, turn it to high. Gently fold the bok choy into the chicken and cook, covered, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.

I just placed the lightly browned chicken on top of the onion mixture.
It is now ready to cook for 5 hours on high.
Sliced bok choy ready to go into the slow cooker.
Ready to be served.
(I molded the rice into a little dome and placed the chicken adobo around it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment