Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chicken Tikka Masala

I made Chicken Tikka Masala for the first time, last year with a recipe I found in a magazine. The hubby started mentioning the dish recently so I decided to surprise him last night for dinner by making it. The big bummer was that I couldn't find that recipe. I swear my recipe binder is getting too big! So I did an internet search for Chicken Tikka Masala and found this one. It worked out great because I didn't have any garam masala--an ingredient that is often used in this type of recipe--but this recipe didn't call for it. I thought I still had some from the last time I made this dish but I didn't and couldn't find it after searching 2 grocery stores. This recipe was definitely delicious but I think that the garam masala is needed for that authentic flavor.

I made just a couple of modifications, I had 8 chicken thighs I wanted to use up so I substituted the chicken breast with them. Also, I didn't add the jalapeno as I knew it would already have a kick with all the spices. This was a great recipe and the naan I made along with it was a nice way to soak up the spicy sauce. Enjoy!


Chicken Tikka Masala
Recipe posted by Yakuta on AllRecipes.com
Serves 4

Ingredients for marinade:
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (I used 8 chicken thighs instead)
4 long skewers (I didn't use these)

Ingredients for sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (I didn't use this)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions: In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 4 teaspoons salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour (I marinated for 3 hours).

Preheat a grill for high heat  (I cooked my thighs in a nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter. It was way too cold to grill these outside). Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and 3 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.






No comments:

Post a Comment