Sunday, November 13, 2011

Classic Crumb Cake

What dessert should I make? It was a toss up between cinnamon bunns or crumb cake and the hubby voted for crumb cake--so the crumb cake won. I found a recipe in my Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook that looked spectacular. I like crumb cakes with big chunks of crumbs on the top of it and this recipe was exactly that. I have had this cookbook for a year now and this is the first recipe I have made from it and it did not disappoint. I can't wait to make my next recipe from it. Enjoy!



Classic Crumb Cake
Makes one 13"x9" cake

Cake Ingredients:
10 tablespoons butter, softened
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Crumb Topping Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 3/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
confectioners’ sugar (optional)

Directions for cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9″x13″ pan and set aside. (I shaped the bottom of my pan with aluminum foil and then placed it into the pan. Then used Pam Spray instead of butter.) Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after adding each one. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture and sour cream. Mix just until blended. Spread batter evenly into pan and set aside until you make crumb topping. 

Next make crumb topping. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or a fork. (I would use a food processor next time I make this) When well mixed, the mixture should form large, moist clumps. Spread crumb topping evenly over cake batter.  Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done. (My crumb cake took 50 minutes) Turn the pan once during baking. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. 

I shaped the bottom of my pan with aluminum foil for easy removal after baked.





No comments:

Post a Comment