Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Whole Wheat Pancake/Waffle Mix

I love waking up early on Saturday's to go tag sale hunting. Who doesn't love a good  bargain? Well, one day I found a real gem. There it was, under a table wrapped in a cardboard box--a stainless steel professional waffle maker. It was gorgeous and only $20! I asked the older couple the scoop on the waffle maker and they mentioned that their son--a professional chef--bought it for them but they just didn't find themselves using it. Like I always tell my husband "one person's rock is another person's diamond." He laughed at me when I brought it home but let me tell you, he always asks for my waffles now.  So I have tested many recipes and this one is the best so far with a couple of adjustments. I made a double batch a couple of weeks ago for a friend of mine but it came out a little thin but they said it tasted yummy and crepe like. With that being said, I would add more flour if you like a thicker pancake/waffle. Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Pancake/Waffle Mix
Makes about 5 large waffles or 10 pancakes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup lowfat (or regular) buttermilk
1 1/2 lowfat milk
3 tablespoons honey

Directions: Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine all wet ingredients (except honey) and give it a light whisk to combine. Then whisk in honey into wet ingredients making sure that you mix any honey that may have settled to the bottom of the bowl. Pour liquid into dry ingredients and mix well however, make sure not to over mix.

My tag sale gem

No comments:

Post a Comment