Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blueberry Health Muffins

I bring my own breakfast and lunch to work everyday. So sometimes I like to make my meals ahead for the week -- especially for breakfast. Muffins are always a nice treat in the morning with a coffee or tea. However, they can be fattening depending on the kind you eat. I found this health conscious muffin recipe in my binder and had all the ingredients on hand. They were easy to make and tasted great. The only thing I would change next time I make this recipe is to make them a little larger--I enjoy my muffin tops! So instead of making 12 small muffins, making 8 larger ones. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Enjoy!


Blueberry Health Muffins
Recipe by Whole Living magazine
Makes 12

Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 cup 2% milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup rolled oats

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a bowl whisk together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ, baking powder, salt, and 2/3 cup brown sugar. Make a well in center of bowl and add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Gently mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries.

Divide batter among muffin cups. Combine 2 Tbsp. toasted wheat germ, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, and rolled oats in a small bowl. Sprinkle over tops of muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let sit in pan 10 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack to cool.

Fresh out the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment