Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

I went to the farmers market this weekend with my hubby. While we were there he picks up some brussels sprouts and says "Kenny brought some in the other day for lunch and they were actually really good." So I ask him to put them in our cart so I can try and make a recipe I had just ripped out of Cooking Light magazine. Honestly I never made nor was I interested in making brussels sprouts before. They never really caught my attention but when I saw this recipe and then when my hubby commented on the ones he had, I had to give them a shot. This recipe was really easy and quick to make. Plus, I had all the ingredients I needed at home already. Since we are still trying to cut the carbs for dinner, I served the brussels sprouts with a piece of salmon that I marinated in Italian dressing and then sauteed. I would definitely make these yummy little veggies again with a couple of modifications: more onions and I would quarter the brussels sprouts instead of halving them as the recipe calls for.

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Recipe from Cooking Light magazine
Serves 4

Ingredients:
3 slices center-cut bacon finely chopped 
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme 
1 1/2 cups presliced onion 
1/3 cup fat-free
Lower-sodium chicken broth 
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

Directions: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; drain.

Add thyme and onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and Brussels sprouts; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with bacon.

Bacon is browned and the rest of the ingredients are prepped and ready.
Everything tastes good with bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment